Wednesday, April 01, 2009

April 1st fun

As can be expected, Ringo found another way into the mare pasture.  He's like a raptor from Jurassic Park, always testing fences!  He found a loose place - boom! - he's in with the mares!  At least I always know where the fences need to be repaired!

He had them all herded into a tight group along with most of the geldings, except Dash.  Apparently Dash was his 'threat', although Dash has been gelded for 2+ years!

Fortunately he's very calm about being recaptured and went directly to his hay for breakfast.  Such a fun morning!  He did this between 7 and 9:30 as at 7 he was still locked up!  The brat.  I'm toying with putting a mare in with him so he won't feel the need to jump fences, but I really don't want to breed this year.  Geldings don't work as he knows the difference - lol!

Other than that, Sarah and April are keeping all the attention of the mares on them.  Grandma, Tina, has been standing guard on the other side of the fence admiring her new grand-daughter. The rest of the preggers are watching the new baby closely too.  Mom and baby seem to be doing well.  Sarah seems a bit uncomfortable, but is eating and drinking well, so I'll watch her and give her a bit more banamine if she doesn't seem better this afternoon.

Tomorrow the farrier will be here, so if any foals are born tonight, I'm praying for quick/easy delivery of a healthy foal!  I'm only going to have him do that pregnant mares, retired ones and Ringo so 12 tomorrow.  I know I'm going to be dead on my feet by the time he's done!

No comments: