Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer officially arrived!  100 degrees yesterday and the same today.  The hills are crisping up and going brown (the Golden State - yellow-brown grass I think!).  So very hot and we're up earlier to get things done before hiding inside.  Even the dogs don't want to be out in the heat.

I've tried to explain this to potential buyers as to WHY the horses don't really want to be bothered at three in the afternoon - its bloody hot!  I've had to convince a couple that before noon in the summer is best.  I don't like being outside in the heat and the horses do not want to be messed with either.  Oh well.

The foals are all doing great, Keiga is officially four months old this week and thinks he's all that.  Bruiser is still a momma's boy, but maturing very nicely. While Rose is Miss independent, rarely with Chiclet (all her babies are that way!), and Fifa is turning out to be quite handsome and keeping up with the others.  We definitely have World Cup fever here, poor Fifa stuck with such a wonderful name! ROFL!

We do need to get new photos of the foals as they've changed so much and poor Fifa being the last gets skipped alot.  It's always amazing the first foal we take numerous photos of but the the later ones get random shots, kind of like the second or third child in a family versus the first baby.  

We're still waiting on Libbe and Maria, as they get bigger and bigger.  I hate not knowing a foaling date as you watch horses for months - fence jumping is a major PiA!  Fortunately we've had none this year, so unless Ringo does get creative somehow, we should actually know foaling dates/sires next year - yeah!  Love being back on track!!!  
Along with our Minis we do have a few other inhabitants here, including our four llamas that wander around scaring coyotes and the occasional two footed trespasser.  

Surprisingly they don't seem to care about foxes!  That's the dogs job to contain the foxes to the other end of our property and away from the poultry buffet!




I absolutely love this, unfortunately too many people do fall into this category.

Inheritance Ignored
By Robert M. Miller, D.V.M.

"It's a shame," I said to Walt.  "Her conformation's filled with fault.
Her head is plain. Her neck is ewe.  Her back is long. Her tail askew.
Her shoulder straight, back at the knees; She toes out in front, you'll notice please.
Offset cannons and splints you see.  This mare, I fear, will never be
A racing prospect, or good for show; Brittle feet with seedy toe.

Four years old, already lame in both forelegs; in back the same.
Problems to worsen eventually, because she's built inadequately.
Her hip is short. Her croup is low.  The right fore-tendon's begun to bow.
She cribs, you know, and lolls her tongue - too many vices in a mare so young.
And when she's worked to desperation, she wheezes with each respiration.

Her teeth are bad. She overbites.  With other mares she always fights.
When she trots she'll weave and bobble.  Her hind end has a definite wobble.
Now melanoma in horses gray is very commonplace I'd say.
But these masses `neath her tail are bad.  In a mare so young it makes me sad.
I hate to bear such tragic news:  You might as well just pull her shoes.
And stop her training as of now.  You cannot ride her anyhow."

Walt looked at me and then replied, "The guy who sold her surely lied.
He told me that she was so great, And I so eager, could hardly wait,
To load her up and take her home, To pay for her, make her my own.
Well, no matter," said Walt aloud, "She'll make a broodmare fine and proud.

We'll breed her soon and get repaid for the investment that I made.
I know a stallion with a fee so low, he's laid up for a year or so.
He's got navicular disease they say.  But his stud fee I guess I'll pay;
And raise a foal so this young mare  Will pay her way and earn her fare.
Don't you agree, Doc, with my plan?"  I answered him ... I told the man:

"Like begets like. You've heard that said?  This foal you're planning, in your head,
Is good for business-mine, I mean.  Foals like this, I have seen,
Are useful to support a vet.  Because of many defects, yet
Our voice is often heard alone warning breeders, `Do not condone
The breeding of inferior sire to inferior mare if you desire
To produce foals to improve the breed.  Breed best to best, that's all you need.

Now listen you breeders of puppy dogs and cats and sheep and cows and hogs,
For your own species just change the name.  The principles are still the same.
Like begets like. It's in the genes, controlled by DNA it seems.
Breed best to best, it's your only chance for offspring that will the breed enhance.

No comments: